Thursday, February 2, 2012

You are Batsh!t Crazy!

We take medications for many ailments. Not all are good, but some are vitally important for survival and quality of life.

I abhor the pervasive attitude that Americans, dare I say Christians, think that medicine for the brain is not ok for a brain that is physiologically deficient in chemicals needed to feel normal, joyful, even-keeled, etc......

Here's a typical day of a guy I know really well--without brain chemistry meds:

"I wake up feeling nervous, depressed, guilty and just want to curl-up and sleep. As I get ready for work, my stomach is in a knot and I feel like crawling out of my skin. The thought of things needing to be done weigh on me like a ton of bricks. It all feels very insurmountable. At work, I feel anti-social and try to hide as much as possible. Any/all human interaction is loathed and irritating. When I get home from work, I feel like sitting on the couch and burying myself into a TV show. I want to interact with my family, but I almost feel paralyzed to a point where it would seem painful to get off the couch. When something exciting happens, I don't feel happy about it. When something bad happens, I feel numb. I generally feel numb, apathetic, and unmotivated all of the time. I just barely function and sometimes just feel like quitting."

The brain is just as vital as any other body part to take care of. For people that have experienced perpetual traumatic events, the brain has been depleted of its natural chemicals that allow for a person to feel joy, level-headed, focused, calm, peaceful, able to transition, etc.... These chemicals are referred to as neurotransmitters. If your brain is low on one or more of them, you will see it play out in your life in a negative manner. You're not necessarily Batsh!t Crazy like many would like to label those with neurotransmitter deficiencies I apologize to you for anyone that has called you crazy or unstable. This is like someone calling another "weak" for needing insulin.

If you'd like to talk more on this, please feel free to FB message or call me.

Jay

No comments: