Wednesday, February 1, 2012

If You Were Just Like Me......

.........you'd require more of your friends than you're willing to give.

rec·i·proc·i·ty

1 : the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence

It's nice to think that relationships could be mutually fulfilling. It's a good thing to want someone who is affectionate and loving back to us.

It goes from being good to bad when one person, out of their wounded-ness/garbage, wants you to fulfill a void that only God can fill in their life. When a person puts an extreme need on a friend the relationship can get strained.

I believe Christians form a spiritual family that can look to meet some needs of the hurting: love, acceptance, support, a listening ear, etc.... However, when a person starts to demand they be treated "mutually" (a perception that is often skewed/untrue), the natural/organic flow of the relationship gets interrupted. It will get to feel forced and awkward.

With regards to unconditional love, I have placed some conditions on friends that they have my "standards" and my wounded guy demands reciprocation. This is unhealthy. If I'm living from my heart, I'll give myself freely, without expecting anything in return. Word.

Jay


No comments: