Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gun-Shy

God met me more than halfway, he freed me from my anxious fears. (Psalm 34:4 MSG)

Many people have been so verbally and physically abused that they have become gun-shy: hesitant, wary, or distrustful, especially because of previous unpleasant experience(s).

This causes a protective posture in dealing with people in general. It often translates into a person being suspicious of all human interaction. Someone who is suspicious of people often become hyper-critical; therefore, keeping themselves safe from being hurt.

After all these years, I can slip back into feeling suspicious and judging people. The Lord is asking me to continue my spiritual growth by addressing this life-hindering mindset/behavior. It's one thing to protect your heart, and another to hide your heart. Fear is at the root of it all, and pride is the protection measure.

Anyone else distrusting of people and want to change that?

No comments: